- Wash hands for 20 seconds. Use single use paper towel to dry.
- Inspect bean blend for debris, or stones. Rinse bean blend.
- Soak beans overnight (or over weekend) in 6-8” deep full hotel pans in the refrigerator in enough cold water with 4 inches above beans. Cover and date.
- Next day rinse beans and place in 1-2 large pots with water, at least 3 inches above peas in large pot. Bring to boil. Boil for 1-1.5 hours until tender. Drain, rinse and chill beans to 70 degrees within 2 hours and to 40 degrees to within 4 hours. Must use ice paddles or blue ice trays. May also freeze for future use.
- Drain Diced Tomatoes. Refrigerate tomatoes for later use. Boil the drained liquid in sauce pan from the tomatoes during the preparation of this recipe.
- Place oil in the 24 qt pan (braising pan) and heat on med high.
- Saute’ diced onions, and carrots until onions are browned and translucent. Add garlic and peppers and saute’ 10-15 minutes until peppers are tender but still a little crunch.
- Add beans, and boiled juice from dice tomatoes. Cover and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes. Heat corn in the steamer and add to the braising pan. Heat through to 165 degrees.
- Zest the lemons and squeeze the juice. Add all zest and 1.5 Tbsp lemon juice to the 6 serving recipe and all the zest of all the lemons and ½ cup lemon juice to the braising pan for the 50 serving recipe.
- Add chili blend to bean mixture. Add half the shredded cheese into the mixture
- Preheat convection oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut the pita into 8 wedges with a pizza cutter and separate the top from the bottom layer. Place parchment paper pan liner on sheet pan and toast pita wedges for 6-9 minutes.
- Serve in large 1 # food boat with 8 pita chip wedges, 1 cup of chili bean mixture (two # 8 scoops), sprinkle small amount of shred cheddar cheese- 1/2 of an ounce of cheese, top with 1 tablespoon sour cream and sprinkle cilantro on top of sour cream.
- Hold 7 Bean Veggie chili Mixture at a minimum of 140F. Properly held leftovers must be chilled to 70 degrees with two hours and to 40 degrees within 4 hours. Use ice paddle.
- 1 food boat with 8 pita chip wedges,
- 1 cup of chili bean mixture (two # 8 scoops),
- Sprinkle small amount of shredded cheddar cheese ~ 1/2 of an ounce of cheese,
- Top with 1 tablespoon sour cream, and
- Sprinkle cilantro on top of sour cream
Click the link below to view the recipe listed above and other great heart healthy recipes!