1. In a stockpot, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil; add chicken and brown (about 5 minutes). Remove chicken from pan.
2. Heat remaining olive oil in same pot; add onions and garlic and sauté until soft.
3. Add corn and sauté until golden brown. Add apple, cumin, and cayenne pepper (if desired); cook about 3-4 minutes. Let cool about 5 minutes.
4. Set aside about 1 cup of mixture. Purée remainder in food processor or blender, adding a portion of water, if needed, and return to pot.
5. Add browned chicken, black bean, chiles, bouillon, and water. Bring to boil and simmer about 15 minutes. Chicken should be cooked to 165 ºF.
6. To serve, ladle soup in bowls and top with non-puréed portion of apple corn mixture.