Makes: 8 servings
3 cups water
vegetable bouillon (low sodium, cube)
cups white potatoes (cut into 2-inch strips
cups carrot (sliced)
cups summer squash (cut into 1-inch chunks)
1 cup summer squash (cut into 4 chunks)
1 can sweet corn (15 ounces, rinsed and drained)
1 teaspoon thyme
2 garlic (cloves, minced)
green onion (stalk, chopped)
1/2 green chile pepper (small, chopped)
1 cup onion (coarsley chopped)
1 cup tomatoes (diced)
1. Put water and bouillon in large pot and bring to a boil.
2. Add potatoes and carrots and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients, except for tomatoes, and continue cooking for 15 minutes over medium heat.
4. Remove 4 chunks of squash and puree in blender.
5. Return pureed mixture to pot and let cook for 10 minutes more
6. Add tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes to allow stew to thicken.
United States Department of Agriculture: https://whatscooking.fns.usda.gov/recipes/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-snap/vegetable-stew
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Institutes of Health
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style