Loaded with sweet Vidalia onions and bell peppers, this delicious baked breakfast or brunch dish can be assembled ahead of time, leaving just the baking for the morning.
1. Pack rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350 ºF.
2. Cut Vidalia onion into slices vertically; reserve about 1/4 of onion. Heat oil in a 10-inch non-stick skillet. Sauté onion and pepper slices for 5-8 minutes, until tender and just starting to brown. Remove from heat.
3. Beat eggs, milk, and pepper in large bowl, set aside.
4. Spray 8' or 9' baking pan (square or round) with cooking spray.
5. Arrange bread cubes in bottom of pan. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
6. Add sautéed vegetables and pour in egg mix.
7. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, until set. Egg dishes should be cooked to 160 ºF.
8. While strata is baking, prepare salsa, by dicing and mixing cherry tomatoes, garlic, and remaining Vidalia onion.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with 8 oz glass of fat-free (skim) milk and 1/2 cup cantaloupe chunks